Everyone has a different skill set to bring to the table. Some people are best at writing code for computer programs, some are best at playing the saxophone and others are best at finding new cures for diseases.
Being successful in any industry often requires specific skill sets, and the direct selling arena is no different. Many people make excellent direct sellers, but just as not every kid who grows up wanting to play Major League Baseball gets a crack at it, not everyone is cut out for this industry either.
I was recently asked what kind of characteristics could be indicative of success in the business of onboarding new Associates and customers for Viridian, so I thought it would be helpful to explore three such traits.
- Be personable: You canít really sugarcoat the fact that in life there are some people that just turn you off when you talk to them. In order to be successful at Viridian, you should be someone that people like. Youíve got to be personable. The whole goal here is to get people to sit down with you and see the Viridian business. The warmer and more inviting you are, the better position you put yourself in to be successful. Remember, youíre not selling the products, youíre selling the meeting. Use your personality to get them to see the video presentation and good things will happen for you.
- Be confident: Viridian is a great company and it offers great products. But not everyone is going to jump at the first chance to sign up for the program. You have to believe in what youíre doing. And you cannot be afraid of someone saying no to you because I promise you, that will happen from time to timeÖ even to the best of us. Your confidence will attract people to you. People follow people who are confident in themselves and their business. Have you ever noticed when a person with confidence walks into a room? The whole room looks at that person and is wondering what he or she does for a living. You want to be that person.
- Be passionate: Itís not about you being in Viridian; itís about Viridian being in you. People are attracted to passion and drive, and itís important that you radiate both of them. I know a lot of people in the business who are passionate about what theyíre doing, and the ones who arenít donít achieve the same level of success. Did you ever notice that throughout your life the things that youíve been most successful at were the ones you were most passionate about? Do you think that a great guitar player has a strong passion for music? Your success in Viridian will be reflective of your level of passion.
What leadership traits do you feel are critical to succeed in this business? Let me know in the comment box.
During lunch with an Associate the other day, something she said about the unique qualities of direct selling leadership really stuck out.
ďI think that people might not follow me because I am not sure that I know who I am,Ē she explained.
That type of inner discovery and self-reflectionóthat focus on making sure we know who we areóis an integral part of becoming a leader others want to follow. Being honest, sincere, transparent, and comfortable in our own skin creates a magnetism that attracts others because we know who we are and where we are going. Having strong direct selling leadership traits starts with asking a seemingly impossible question: If everybody on my team exhibited the leadership qualities I do, what would my team look like?
Itís a challenging question, but itís a great catch-your-attention question. The reality is that people will do what they see you doónot what you say and tell them to do. This is where the saying comes from: ďYour actions speak so loudly I canít hear you!Ē So, you have to be prepared to know that when you step into a leadership role, leading by example is absolutely critical because everything else is just lip service.
My advice this week is to step back for a minute and take a look at everything. You are now in a position to grow your business and become a better leader, so the first place you have to start is within yourself. A few weeks ago I posted my philosophies of life on Facebok, my governing identifiers that make me who I am and make me fulfilled. They are the facts that I:
1. Celebrate people
2. Take pleasure in the little things
3. Continually give thanks
4. Work hard at what I love
5. Seek to serve others
These core philosophies run deep within who you are so you should be cognitively aware of each. One way to remember to ďtake pleasure in the little things,Ē for example, resulted from something that happened a number of years ago. I was sitting at my desk wearing my great grandmotherís wedding ring from 1918. I was in a massive hurry when I looked down on my desk and saw something sparkly that I assumed was glitter so I flicked it away. All of a sudden it hit me and sure enough, I looked down and a tiny stone was missing from the ring; it was a small jewel that I was never able to recover.
Iíve never replaced that stone for a reason: every time I see that it is missing, it reminds me that if I am in such a hurry that I canít notice tiny little details, I will miss treasure that exists in my daily walk.
To be a leader people are attracted to, be authentic, know yourself and identify your philosophy on life. Once you have that and are true to your core you can lead with confidence, you can truly transform a team, and you can really create something special and long-lasting.
Letís face it: The bigger your downteam, the more successful you become in this business.
Everyoneís always asking me how they can grow their downteam, so I figured I would take the time to outline three specific tips that you can use on a daily basis in order to become more successful in the network marketing business. Letís take a look at them:
- Follow the system: You donít have to reinvent the wheel in order to be successful. Far too often, I see people who are eager to make a name for themselves who try to do everything on their own. The fact of the matter is that if youíre not using Duplic8, youíre setting yourself up to fail. The thing is, we know the system works. Your way may be great for you, but not everyone is like you, so you need to use and teach a system that can easily be duplicated. Have an open mind and forget everything you were taught about sales. Then get with your upteam and make sure you are coachable. Keep showing the business. Show it once a week, show it once a day, show it three times a day. The more you show the business, the more successful youíll be.
- Believe in yourself: Believe that you can do this. People are attracted to confidence. Think about it: Would you be more likely to buy a car from someone who seems ambivalent about its features or someone who can talk about its benefits inside and out? If you show the person how excited you are about what youíre doing, they will be curious enough to at least want to see what youíre up to. And thatís half the battle.
- Persevere: Show me a business thatís easy right off the bat and sign me up. Truth is, youíve got to work hard to be successful in any business. But the old adage is true: Hard work pays off. Itís very easy to quit in network marketing. Believe me, weíve all had our reasons, and it only takes one to stop. Sticking to it has paid off in the long run for a lot of Viridian Associates who determined long ago that their reason for doing this business was much stronger than any adversity that came along. Perseverance will not only help you succeed in this business, itíll help you become a stronger person in all aspects of your life.